Old July 11th 05, 03:30 PM
Don Johnstone

It does, and this is not 'adverse'yaw. My ASW17, whch
has flaperons for the complete span, is a perfect example
of this. In a moderately banked turn, where I am using
a small amount of aileron to 'hold off' increasing
bank I need no rudder to maintain a balanced turn.
Gerhard Waibel was a very clever designer I think.
I do of course need rudder to conteract the prodigious
amount of adverse yaw when I apply aileron to enter
the turn, hence the fin and rudder the size of a small
flat (condominium).

At 14:00 11 July 2005, Mike wrote:
In the July issue of Soaring a letter writer contends
that, during a
steep stationary turn, the outside wing creates less
drag than the
inside and adverse yaw is caused by: 1)The inside wing
flying at a
greater angle of attack than the outside wing, therefore
creating more
drag on the inside wing (refers to lift vector diagrams)
and 2)Down
aileron on the inside wing needed to create equal lift
with the outside
wing while flying at a lower speed. He concludes,
'Of course, the
incresed drag of the lower wing, caused by both 1)
and 2) above, is the
source of adverse yaw.' With all this drag on the inside
wing why
wouldn't the glider yaw to the inside of the turn instead
of the
outside? This is counter to everything I've learned.
What am I (or is
he) missing here?

Mike Fadden