Old October 23rd 07, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bee

Default Pressure & temperature

Jim Macklin wrote:

| In Europe its the easiest way to fail an IR checkride by
failing to
| compensate for the ISA deviation in the winter and being
deemed to have
| busted the limits
|
| Our FAA isn't that smart.

Or that anal.

Well, then our Air Force is anal. They worked with the FAA for a long
time on this issue, then gave up and implemented cold temp procedures
just for the Air Force. They almost lost a cargo bird at Tule,
Greenland in the late 1980s that got their attention.

The problem isn't usually with minimums. It is out on the initial
segments and sometimes the feeder routes as well. The higher above the
altimeter setting source, the larger the errors.