Old March 24th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Is TSO Required for Certified Glider Communications Radio?

On Mar 23, 10:31*am, Brian wrote:
TSO requirements have been discussed at length in previous threads,
Admittedly I don't recall them specifically talking about radios. But
the short version is there is no requirement to install TSO anything
in most gliders.

big HOWEVER, there are operations that require TSO equipment and the
FAR's will specifically say that TSO'ed equipment is required. This is
usually for Transponders or IFR operations, I am sure there are
others.
It is possible also that your particular aircraft manufacter has
required TSO equipment in the aircraft as well and that will be
spelled out in the aircraft documentation.

Many people, including some FAA inspectors, have the false notion that
all instruments need to be TSO'ed. When you find one of these ask them
where you can find the TSO'ed G-meter to install. Hint, there is no
TSO for G-Meters.

So unless someone can find a specific requirement for the equipment to
be TSO'ed, Then it does not need to be TSO'ed. Best bet might be to
look up the TSO number for Radio's and then search the FAR's to see
where this TSO is required.

Brian

It is my belief that non TSO'd equipment CAN be installed, provided
the FAA accepts the paperwork. (Maybe in certain instances the FAA
will not accept non TSO install)

Cookie