Old April 4th 04, 04:36 AM
WaltBJ

Kari Korpi wrote in message .130...
Hi,

I've gone through countless web pages and come up with nothing on
this subject, so I hope someone on r.a.m could clarify things a bit.

This regards the bombing tactics used by Mosquito FB.xx variants
in World War II. Since the FBs could only use the rear bomb bay (due
to the 20mm cannon) and the bomb aimer's position was taken up
by the .303 calibre MGs, how did these fighter-bombers actually
aim their internal bombs?

SNIP:

Sorry, have absolutely no idea how they did it. I do know that in
divebombing from Spitfires they aimed at the target, at a
predetermined altitude started the pullout, a certain number of
seconds later pickled the bomb(s). Of course dive angle, airspeed
altitude and delay time had to be calculated.
In low-level bombing the bottom of the gunsight reticle could serve as
a reference depression angle - then using that fixed value, airspeed,
height above ground and bomb ballistics could be juggled to determine
the proper parameters for a release point. If their sight was
adjustable in size (set target wingspan) that would make the system
more flexible. Like I say, these are ways to get the job done. How
they actually did it - I guess we need a living Mosquito pilot to tell
us.
Walt BJ