Old January 5th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Todd

Default (USA) FSDO inspections of Experimental gliders

Several years ago I (finally) got my Operating Limitations updated to
reflect the new home base. A multi-year process getting kicked back
and forth between CLE and DTW FSDO. (I live in OH, Glider lives in
MI). The process was quite friendly but drawn out. After a few email
back and forth to tweak the Op-Limitations, we got it
done...except....he really wanted to see the glider. We met one day
at KADG and he did a full body cavity search of my ship. All the
paperwork, all the placards, read the POH cover to cover. Fortunately
I have a really good A&P-IA (thanks Matt/Y70) and that stuff was all
ok.

In the end I am not sure what we accomplished other than wasting over
half a day of my time for the inspection and a nice spring day trip
for the FAA Inspector from KCLE to KADG (140 miles each way) at
taxpayer expense that could have been handled by an inspector from
KDTW FSDO 40 miles away.

Yup, they are overworked.