Old November 26th 18, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Contest Wait list

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 at 1:49:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
As a fairly new contest pilot but one that enjoys the entire sport.

It is interesting to me that Nephi OLC/XC Camp set for next June has a wait list and the Sr's is already has 39 pilots registered - yet Mifflin and Elmira have less then 10 total.

I have looked at the pilot survey and have chatted allot abut Soaring and the focus. Since I have experience in the Olympic movement, saw how it evolved and have no current/future desire to see it move further - I think Soaring as a sport could be at a cross roads.

Do we (all Soaring) put our effort/strategy into producing a World Champion or do we increase our population hoping that increase in numbers produces a World Champion. (or does a WC even matter?)

Just a thought as I entered my next years contests

WH

ps - I do not believe great Soaring geography is the key - I am on my 4th Sr's - the Soaring is not spectacular like UT - so I rule out geography IMHO

From the perspective of a new glider pilot, I think we should focus on our base. We need more people flying gliders. As the base grows, we will have more to draw from in the contest arena.