Old November 9th 20, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

Default Gliding Club Experiences

Our simulator has better than 180 degree visuals using 5 projectors. My
observations about it a

- I never managed a winch release without a stall, mainly because there's
no top of cable clue: it just back-releases. Winch power isn't cut and
the glider doesn't arc over as it reaches the top.

The VR goggles make the experience MUCH better -- except for those people who wear bifocals or trifocals. There are many subtle aspects of the real-cockpit experience that aren't duplicated well by multiple screens.
For instance, multiple screens don't allow you to lean around in your seat. You can't peer down to see the ground over the edge of the canopy rails. You can't peer around to see a glider at your 5 o'clock position.