Old November 8th 07, 07:09 PM posted to aus.aviation,aus.politics,aus.services.defence,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Typhoon502

Default Super Hornets: I don't get it

On Nov 7, 7:27 pm, "Mike Kanze" wrote:
Ed,

Growler, Prowler and Raven are NOT Wild Weasels. Weasels are NOT jammers. Weasels are hunter/killers.

Small point, but IIRC the current EA-6B is HARM-equipped/capable. That would make it a "weasel," n'est-ce pas?

I think it's debatable..."Wild Weasel" to me is more about tactics
than what weapon is loaded. I can't imagine any Prowler pilot trying
to tease a SAM site into going live and hoping he can stuff a HARM
down the beam before they get a missile off. Growlers probably won't
be much more daredevilly even with the improved agility.