Old March 3rd 04, 03:39 AM
Guy Alcala

Ed Rasimus wrote:

snip

Impossible to fly a combat weapons delivery sortie in either airplane
without a second crewmember. (Note that the F-4 can be flown quite
nicely solo as the Thunderbirds did, but not as a weapon system.)

Ed, you couldn't make a manual delivery in the F-4E using only the front seat?
(Not that I'm buying any of JGG's fantasies, just wondering). I can see no
reason why you couldn't in an F-4C, and probably the same holds true for a D or E
as well. All the switches you'd need are in the F/C/P. If you wanted to make a
radar-assisted delivery that's another matter, and I'm sure that both accuracy
and safety were improved during manual deliveries at night by having the GIB call
out the 3 As during a pass, but he doesn't seem essential.

Guy