Old March 3rd 04, 11:16 AM
Cub Driver

First--'under control' usually means simply under the control of a
forward air controller, not manned and flown by some outside force.

This reminds me of something that continually crops up in the Bush /
ANG wars. People who don't understand (and generally don't like) the
military can be clueless about the meaning of military terms. They
define them by other rules, and then draw conclusions from the
inappropriate definition.

For example, Bush got orders to do some weekend training drills. This
is understood to mean: he was ordered to do some weekend training, and
the obvious corrollary is that it was a disciplinary measure. And all
because in the military, "orders" follow you like dandruff. When I
went on leave, I had orders. But the army wasn't demanding that I go
on leave, it was permitting me to do so.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com