Old January 20th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nigel Pocock

Default Trailer tires

At 15:27 20 January 2009, jcarlyle wrote:
Ed,

My research into this question resulted in me concluding that one
should look at the Duro, Maxxis, Denman (in that order) tire brands.
Goodyear Marathons are variable. Carlisle are not recommended (note
that Carlisle also owns Titan). I chose Duros.

Whatever you choose, make SURE that it is an ST tire - this stands for
Special Trailer. And DO NOT run them at low pressure - run them at
whatever the pressure is that is stamped on the sidewall to get
maximum load carrying ability with minimum heat build up.

I would Not do this. The pressure marked on the tyre is the maximum
permitted inflation pressure. This would not allow the tyre to flex and
only the central part of the tyre would be in contact with the road. It
would also bounce all over the place on a rough surface. Inflate to the
reccomended pressure for the trailer. If not available try 35-40psi If the
trailer weighs considerably less than the max tyre load heat build up will
not be a problem.

Nigel