Old June 30th 04, 02:21 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Kent Shaw wrote:
: I had all kinds of problems with the starter on my Piper Warrior and
: had to spray Bendix with silicon before every start. I finally
: replaced it with one of the new lightweight starters and couldn't be
: happier. Easy installation and you may get your A/P to signoff on
: your work.

A followup to my original post: I have now figured out exactly how the
starter bendix drive works, and why it stays extended even when not
turning, after it has been extended. There are 2 little spring loaded
pins that hold the bendix drive out, which are arranged so that at high
RPM their weight + centrifugal force retracts them, allowing the pinion
to retract as well. Apparently one of these pins is dragging on my unit.
I have in my hands a new EBB-131A starter drive which I intend to
install tomorrow, which should solve this problem.
The guy at Sacremento Sky Ranch who sold me this EBB-131A said that it
was his last one, and the last "US-made" one. New ones are imported from
India, and he said there have been several recalls already.
Further bulletins as events warrant...
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)