Old March 1st 04, 02:27 AM
Jeff

I think some people get carried away when they talk about the instrument rating and
its usefulness.
That its for flying in nasty thunderstorms, lighting hitting near you, plane
rocking around..the nasty stuff.

I dont fly in freezing rain, thunderstorms or stuff like that, my instrument ticket
comes in handy when I wan t to go somewhere and they have a, say solid overcast at
maybe 1000 ft. well, I dont have to cancel my flight, with the IFR ticket, I can
fly the instrument approach and land safely, or take off with similar conditions,
or fly just below or just above the cloud layer without worrying about cloud
clearence.

there are alot of things the instrument ticket is good for other then the nasty
hard IFR.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Paul Folbrecht wrote:

Thoughts on this??

I heard the same from a retired 737 pilot. The way he put it was "If you aren't
going to use it all the time, don't get an instrument rating".

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.