Old October 7th 03, 05:09 AM
John Harper

"Fred E. Pate" wrote in message
John Harper wrote:

This morning returning (from Renton), I filed direct PYE PYE1. My

clearance
was SEA J1 BTG then as filed, but I got vectored out of the way of the

jets
then direct PYE.

J1, huh, you like to fly high and you don't mind the overwater PYE1

arrival?

First time I've ever been given a J route - quite cool I thought. I was at
FL190
(FL200 flying north). Of course J1 on that leg is identical to V495, so
isn't
exactly a life changing experience.

On PYE1 I always ask for vectors to stay close to land, and they always
oblige
(although just for fun they vectored me AWAY from land today for a minute or
so, but I think
it had a lot to do with the 777 taking off from SFO 28R just behind me).
You're
only out of gliding range of land for a few minutes. Not sure there's a
choice
anyway, I've always been given PYE1 when I DON'T file it, at least if you
file
it you fly direct PYE which saves a minute or two.

Just my 2 cents: I've been told by the old Bay Approach that they prefer

that you file some nearby VOR before the direct portion of the route, like
Salinas if you're going to the southeast, or Manteca to the northeast. I
don't know what they prefer to the northwest, though.

They assigned me that (vectors V334 SAC) on the way out but cleared me
direct
OLM as soon as I was out of the way of the arriving jets. I figure that on
the way
out of a Class B they'll give you what THEY want so you don't achieve much
filing a specific route anyway.

By the way, you did include a fix for each ARTCC (I don't think it has to

be close to the boundary, just something that the previous ARTCC computer
will recognize so it can process the flight plan).

No, that's kind of the point I'm making. I didn't include one and they
didn't
give me one. Of course PYE is kind of a major thing - I've heard on Channel
9 being cleared to it from North Dakota. Not sure if OLM has quite such
cosmic significance though.

OTOH on the way up from LA only the closer ZOA sector has ever given
me direct DOCAL - and I've tried requesting it, to be told ask later.

John