Old June 26th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Mechanical Vario or not?

It's been now over 8 years since I changed to an all electric panel.
My primary vario is a Cambridge 302 and I have a Westerboer pressure
sensor vario (no flask) as a secondary. With two batteries that can
each run the panel for many hours I had so far no problem. I cannot
see one reason why a mechanical vario would still be needed. The
Westerboer is completely in sync with the Cambridge and of course has
an audio output that I actually like much better than the one on the
Cambridge.

Go and throw out the Winter, you can probably sell it for the price of
an electric.

Herb, J7

Fish wrote:
I am considering dropping a Winter Vario from my panel . I have a Glide
computer and primary electric vario on board as well, as an Ilec
electric. Just trying to lose some weight from the cockpit.
Any PRO's or CONS's I need to know about regarding reliability and
redundancy in flight......batteries in the cold etc??
Cheers

Fish