Old May 26th 17, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Default Letter to the FAA

SF and Burt are right - there is not a lot of knowledge on the FAA regulatory side about soaring so the opportunity for unintended consequences is large.

Let's fix the problem internally. Let's demand and expect higher proficiency on areotow, up our game as a sport with a focus on safety overall, provide clear expectations for pilot performance, provide high quality instruction, manage the risk through evidence based interventions/procedures and educate/empower/protect our tow-pilots rather than treating them as expendable or a necessary evil.

Checklists - canopies, spoilers!

If you fly a single place ship and only fly with a CFI-G the minimum amount "required" - go fly with an instructor, box the wake and so on - get some objective perspective on your flying and work on the fundamentals.

Ask Burt to do a site visit and seriously consider his input.

Question the "that's the way we've always done it" or the "back in the old days" mentality.

I'd never tow with anything other than a Tost hook, btw.

Fly safe!

Tom