Old October 19th 03, 08:37 PM
WaltBJ

Glad to see the Navy loosen up on wearing flight suits. Only took
about 30 years. Must have had to retire a lot of old crusty admirals.
USAF loosened up back in the 60s, command by command, base by base.
Don't know who was last to loosen up, SAC or ATC probably. ADC was
first, then TAC, I believe. I do remember in 62 we had a pilot land a
102 at Salt Lake Muni with an aft fire light on continuously. A crack
in a combustion chamber shot hot gas out through fuselage skin, also
cut a HP air line so lost all pneumatics. Once on the ground couldn't
get his clothes and kit out of the missile bay. Up at Hill AFB
(AirMaterielCommand=AMC=AMillionCivilians)they wouldn't let him in the
club to eat in his goat skin. Club Manager relented and fed him in the
kitchen. We 'rescued' him the next day but he was some p'oed and got
out when his time was up.
A' propos of the supply line, back in 56 on Okinawa I had one (1)
flying suit and it was about 25% patched out with cloth from my
fatigues. At the same time we had 2 F86Ds that couldn't fly at night
because we were short two landing lights.
Walt BJ