Old October 24th 03, 12:27 AM
Alan Minyard

On 17 Oct 2003 06:36:20 -0700, (Michael) wrote:

"Jake Donovan" wrote in message news:%OKjb.80113$AH4.25335@lakeread06...
Woody,

You almost got it right. Leather jackets can be worn any where in khakis or
flight suit.

Nomex (green) jacket can only be worn on flight line. You can wear it coming
on base, or leaving base but can only be "seen" in it on the flight line and
the O'club. (Or entering and leaving quarters to or from the flightline.)

There is some leeway made for transient pilots with downed aircraft.

I honestly had a black shoe Chief quote me the regs in an on base Navy
Exchange while waiting on repairs (went and had lunch). I told him "this is
what I arrived in, I wasn't sitting in 40 deg weather for hours in the
transient shack and if he would like, he could accompany me to the Base CO
and discuss it."

Backed down and said, "I guess they allow that, Capt" and walked off.

JD

Thanks for the answer JD.

And Woody, this wasn't something I was "worried" about, just something
I wondered about. I've got zero problem with a flyer wearing his G-1
off base, rules permitting or not.

Thanks,

~Michael

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
On 10/16/03 4:38 PM, in article
, "Michael"
wrote:

What are the current regulations in regard to this? A friend of mine
in Chicago said while he was at lunch the other day he saw a Navy
officer in uniform and his G-1 at a fast food joint. He was suprised
to the see the flight jacket, because he was under the impression they
weren't allowed to be worn off base. I figure since the guy was in
uniform and the G-1 doesn't really get used in the air much anymore,
that it was fine to be wearing it.

Thanks,

~Michael

There are more important things to worry about but...

My understanding of the current regulations is:

Leather jackets may be worn either with khakis or with a flight suit on or
off base.

The green flight jacket may be worn only with the flight suit or with the
"working khakis" and then only on base.

Of course, I don't get spun up about it since I believe that pilots should
dress like pilots and a flight suit in town (jacket or no) expresses a
positive image to the public.

--Woody

Fly-Fly boys should be required to obey regs just like everyone else, they are
not some sort of "ubermench"

Al Minyard