Old May 9th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

But those ordinary VOR receivers will do approximately nothing for
you, when flying direct to a faraway VOR they cannot pick up yet, thus
they are not "appropriate to the ground facilities to be used".

They're fully appropriate when I'm actually using them.

This rather Clintonian argument ("to be used" vs "I wish to use")
opens the door to kooky things like flying an ILS with a handheld GPS.
("Sure I have one on board, but the FARs don't say I have to USE it
...."), or ignoring monitoring instruments ("my engine oil temp may
have been at redline, but I don't have to LOOK at it").

A 91.13 citation would fit perfectly, should something go wrong.

- FChE