Old November 29th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rich[_2_]

Default Death of the newsgroup.

With the abundance of yahoo specific groups, where just about every
popular homebuilt has a builders group, and the matronics groups,
there is so much good info out there in these and similar sites which
didn't exist years ago. So the need for the all-encompassing
newsgroup like this one is lessend. And over time the number of users
has dropped off due to various reasons. Plus, usenet is being used by
fewer people. Most computer users I've talked to have no clue about
usenet. And once users see there's not much going on in a group like
this, they check it less and less often. And so many usenet groups,
including this one, keep getting inundated with spam. But I see that
in the yahoo groups also. A scourge of the interent. And the ones who
target usenet have many reasons to hate them. Such as using a
different email address for every one of their worthless posts. So the
filters in our usenet readers don't work. The only way to really keep
them out would be to have a password access system. But usenet isn't
setup for that. The one part of usenet that seems to keep alive are
the binary groups. And that's another reason I think this group is
less popular, is the fact we can't post pictures. It would be so much
better if we could. To be able to show a picture of a part we we were
working on, or a homebuilt we owned or were buiding, would add so much
more. The old saying a picture is worth a thousand words is never more
true. So why put up with this limitation? It gets old. This group is
a victim of it's ancient limitations.
Rich

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 06:39:32 -0800 (PST), gorgon
wrote:

I am pulling the plug on this newsgroup. It is now officially dead in
my opinion. RIP Bob Hoover..may you not turn over in your grave. With
the last infiltration post ..rant. or whatever you call it, I am done
with this group. There hasn't been a decent topic thread in months.
Maybe it is time. When one looks at all the Yahoo groups that still
have an interest in aviation AND courteous, helpful members that stay
on topic (Tailwind, Buttercup, Aeronca, etc) this group is a dinosaur.

Bye