Old December 14th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Sailors of the Sky

Roger Worden wrote:
I read that article when I was a kid... and then remembered it when I got
into soaring a few years ago, hoping to find it again someday. What a
well-written article!

I'm convinced it is the best introduction to soaring I have read. Even
with some experience behind me, it had something to teach me: I had not
known that the variometer was what made cross-country soaring possible.

I'm going to bookmark it and point interested people
to it as an introduction.

By all means do. You might also consider using your browser's Save
function to make a private copy. I plan to leave the page up
indefinitely, but things happen.

Though it's 40 years old, not so much has changed,
has it?

I am of two minds about that, actually. On the one hand, a certain
nostalgia is nice. But on the other, it feels like we have spent a
generation of time, and haven't accomplished very much. We are still
flying basic gliders not very much like the 2-22s and 2-32s that they
flew forty years ago. What change there has been has come at the high
end, almost exclusively.

Johan Larson

http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...softhesky.html