Old December 11th 15, 11:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Which 18m FES sailplane to buy?

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:58:06 -0800, benhirashima wrote:

Sure, but why buy an older glider when I can fly my club's gliders? Are
you thinking I'll be able to get more flying time in my own ship? My
club has an ample stable that includes a DG-1000, DG-505 and two Pegasi
that barely get used. So far, getting a glider when I want one hasn't
been a problem.

Grab the Peg(s) and put some serious time onto them. Pegs are nice to fly
and I've always found them more comfortable than a Discus. Besides, its a
shame to let a Peg sit in a hangar when it could be flown.

I got Silver C in my club's SZD Juniors before converting to my club's
high performance fleet (a Peg 90 and two Discii) and spent two years
flying mainly the Peg, which suited me better than the Discii, before
buying.

I almost got Gold distance in the Peg (6 attempts foiled by various
mistakes at up to 100 km from home) and two of us had immense fun flying
it in the local Regionals. I learned a lot from flying it as well as
firming up my ideas about what I wanted in a glider, what I want my panel
to show and where I prefer instruments to be placed.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK