Old February 10th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Several weeks ago I was downwind of a mountain range in strong wind when I encountered rotor at 1400 ft AGL. Since I was flying a ride, thought I would get out of rotor, and immediately turned downwind. I lost 400 ft in a 180 degree turn. Speed dropped, much more than expected and I found myself pushing and pushing on the stick to keep flying. I thought the report said Matt was flying at about 70 kts when he hit. I wonder if the downdraft was so strong he felt as if in a stall but he was actually flying?

Matt's mishap was a terrible tragedy, and Matt added so much to the sport. He is missed and I never even met him.