Old June 3rd 20, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Silverberg

Default Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

On Saturday, May 30, 2020 at 3:47:41 PM UTC-4, Charles Ethridge wrote:
Hi all.

I've done thousands of landings in all kinds of airplanes at tower-controlled airports (now called Class B, C and D), but I've never seen a glider land at one.

Does ATC frown upon this (unless one declares an emergency in which case you have a new problem) or to they take this in stride and accommodate us gliders as an unusual but accepted part of their workday?

Faced with the choice of this or a field, what would insurance say if I broke the glider landing in the field? Might insurance deny my claim since there was a perfectly good tower-controlled airport within gliding distance?

If this is an accepted practice at tower-controlled fields, how do you get the glider off the taxiway? Do they have an FBO come out and tow you off?

Ben

Hi,

I operate a self launch ship out of a Class D airport (Worcester, MA) which has class C and B airspace nearby. I totally agree with ROY's comments regarding operating in or around controlled airspace. Using proper phraseology, knowing what you need and having a plan before contacting ATC will make a huge difference when you need ATC's help or a possible landout at a C or D airport. Making the first radio call low, straight in to the primary runway with possible conflicting high speed traffic will make the pilot (and every glider pilot to follow) very unpopular. If possible, do some homework on the class C and D airports you might land out at or pass through near your home airport, knowing the airport layout could save lots of confusion at a critical time for you and ATC. Call ATC EARLY, let them know where you are and that you might need to land, expect a discreet transponder code. If possible use the secondary runway. At my airport nearly all traffic uses runway 29, I almost always land on runway 33 and make sure I roll through the intersection to the taxiway so I don't disrupt the normal traffic. Do not ask to land on the grass or a taxiway, ATC considers this a very abnormal or emergency operation. If you can't roll out to a taxiway consider getting out of the cockpit and moving your ship well back from the runway, the runway will be considered 'open' if you can get back beyond the 'safety area' (equivilent of the hold short lines). Expect airport authority or police to show up PROMPTLY, the FBO can usually get escorted to help. Many glider pilots have limited experience communicating with ATC and feel uncomfortable with it, the answer.. do it. Consider getting flight following for a while on your next flight it will sharpen your ATC comm skills and improve the soaring community's relationship with your local ATC. You might have to explain stopping to thermal, but they seem to appreciate gaining the knowledge. Overall I enjoy operating out of a Class D airport and always call about 20 minutes out to get an idea of traffic, ATC knows that once I'm in the pattern I'm committed to land and won't deploy the engine. I have yet to have a conflict in my 4th season and many flights although I have scurried in to land or found another thermal to delay my landing to accommodate other traffic.