Old June 3rd 20, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

Everyone seems to know that most accidents happen during the landing phase. However, did you know that nearly 50% of glider landing fatalities happen during off-airport landings? That's really incredible when you consider how rarely we land off-airport.

Since off-airport landings are high-risk, I'll always land at a suitable airport if I have the choice. The tower will almost certainly be accomodating. If not, I'd rather declare an emergency, than make a completely avoidable landout.

By the way, someone mentioned keeping a tow rope in the glider. I think that's a great idea! I was just admiring how compact a length of 2mm Spectra is. I think I'm going to add some to my landout kit.