Old May 22nd 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
birdog[_2_]

Default A Random Comment

"birdog" wrote in message
Just got around to reviewing all the comments under "Simulators". I guess
it was inevitable that it ended up as disagreements with MX. While I don't
want to get involved with that dead end, I have had an experience that
kind of parallels.

As I mentioned before, after I lost my medical, I tried to stay close to
aviation (to no avail) by trying radio control and simulation. During my
brief sojurn in radio control, I joined a "flying" club that was quite
active. But more than a few radiologists, when they found out that I was a
licensed pilot, kinda sulled up - not actually defensive - just avoided me
as much as possible. I think they all wanted to be pilots, but for some
reason - finances (althought some of those models were more expensive than
some of our early planes), the wife, inertia, etc. I think the final straw
for me when I saw a picture in one of their magazines showing a modeler
with helmet, goggles and scarf, landing a model biplane.

I think this kinda helps explain MX.

I forgot to mention something that might be of interest. Learning to fly
these RC toys is about as hard as the real thing, and my piloting experience
helped me not one wit. Unless you want to tear up your expensive little
model, everyone gets help from an experienced modeler.
Duel lasts only long enough to be sure you can hit the runway, and not take
some by standers head off.

Is there an RC modeler out there who would like to challange MX on reality?
That might be interesting!