Old May 23rd 10, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default A Random Comment

"birdog" wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
"birdog" wrote:
As I mentioned before, after I lost my medical, I tried to stay
close to aviation (to no avail) by trying radio control and
simulation. During my brief sojurn in radio control, I joined a
"flying" club that was quite active. But more than a few
radiologists, when they found out that I was a licensed pilot, kinda
sulled up - not actually defensive - just avoided me as much as
possible. I think they all wanted to be pilots, but for some reason
- finances (althought some of those models were more expensive than
some of our early planes), the wife, inertia, etc. I think the final
straw for me when I saw a picture in one of their magazines showing
a modeler with helmet, goggles and scarf, landing a model biplane.

Interesting - I'd be curious to know what you think would transpire
if you tried posting the above paragraph to rec.models.rc.air.

It appears you formed a sweeping generalization of a whole class of
people based on a few subjective conclusions on your part. Any reason
why you ruled out the possibility that they avoided you was because
you might have been exhibiting a haughty or condescending attitude?
In other words, if one
person avoids you, lacking anything other than speculation, it is
equal probability the fault lies with them or you. But when a whole
group of people avoids you, what do you think the probability is that
a group having
only one thing in common would all be at fault for that behavior, but
not you?

Did I say the whole group? Did I say all?

You wrote "I think they all wanted to be pilots," and while the context
is arguably ambiguous about who you meant to include in the "all" group,
it looked to me like you were dismissive of all.

But then I read your other post (which I didn't see till after I'd sent
mine) that indicated you had considerable respect for the skills needed
for their hobby.

Why are you being defensive?

I want to make sure no one disrepects me should I someday decide to wear
a kilt while flying an RC model of a DC-3 with Scottish Airline markings.
;-)

However, I only ever tried - and failed - to fly an RC model airplane
once about 40 years ago. I'm lucky to get an HO scale model train around
a closed track without derailing it. (It never helped our cause, while I
was a kid, that what few plastic model planes my brothers and I did get
and build that they'd eventually find a lit cherry bomb in or attached to
them as their last rites.)

I just thought your post, had it appeared in an RC group, was uncannily
like the kind of post that, ahem, "endeared" Mxsmanic to so many people
on this group. Well, it does require the right kind of personality types
on both sides for an unending ping-pong "discussion."

While I may be an obnoxious *******,

You have many peers in this newsgroup! :-) Still, no properly obnoxious
******* admits to being one, so if you aren't careful you'll be forced to
hand in your OB card. You're clearly a nice guy, but I'm willing to swear
on your behalf, should the case come up, that you were and are an OB.

I did make a few friends at the time, some with whom I still
communicate.

I'll pretend you never wrote that, considering your OB credentials are at
stake. :-)