Old October 1st 05, 09:11 AM
Chris

"B. Jensen" wrote in message
I have a question regarding flying over Canada VFR without landing in
Canada. For instance, if I takeoff from Saginaw, MI and fly VFR to upstate
NY, I would fly in Canadian airspace. If I don't land in Canada, and since
my flight originated in the US, what requirements, if any, are there for
doing this? Is a VFR flight plan required, do you need a FCC radio license
for your aircraft since you would be transmitting in Canadian airspace, and
are there any ATC fees to pay for using Canadian airspace?

The last question is, what would be the difference if I did this same
flight IFR?

As you cross an international border you need to file a flight plan even if
you are not landing.

If you were doing it properly and planning for every eventuality you might
treat the trip as if you were landing and ensure that you had all the
necessary documentation.

I recently flew from Madison to Niagara Falls IFR in a 172 and I ensured I
had the Canadian issued low level chart and instrument approaches. I never
needed them but there was for a few minutes a thought that we might have to
land to avoid some nasty weather and having the charts gave some comfort.

Later at Oshkosh I visited the NAV Canada stand and they told me there would
be no nav charges because I did not land.