Old February 12th 10, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Transponder article updated with Trig info

On Feb 12, 1:47*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
FLARM? - won't see your transponder and effectively no GA aircraft in
the USA are FLARM equipped and I suspect relatively few ever would be.
If you are only concerned *about glider-glider and towplane-glider
separation then FLARM is a wonderful approach but the USA never got
the start on FLARM when it should have and now ADS-B is coming which
is going to confuse this picture (and given what is happening adopting
FLARM instead of ADS-B in many places might be bad idea). But and it
is a big but -- products like PowerFLARM and TRX-1090 that combine a
FLARM transceiver, ADS-B 1090ES receiver and a PCAS receiver look very
impressive on paper and I expect/hope to see them being used in the
USA.

Just to clarify Darryl's point: The FLARM unit to be offered in USA
is PowerFLARM, and they expect most people will opt for the ADS-B
receiver option. The ADS-B option listens to direct transponder
transmissions,
mode C or mode S, and also TIS-B ground-stations (which will
exist someday we hear).

Thanks Darryl !
Best Regards, Dave