Old July 17th 03, 01:31 PM
Ace Pilot

Ron,

Thanks for the info. Where do you find the aircraft type certificate
(that's not the same thing as the aircraft airworthiness certificate,
right)? The FAA web site has a page listing "type certificate data
sheets." Is this the same thing? I looked at a couple of these but
couldn't find any "class" information.

When you say that type ratings for amphibs may be restricted if the
pilot doesn't demonstrate both capabilities, can you explain how this
restriction is put into effect? Is it written into the aircraft flight
manual as an operating restriction, or is the type certificate
document actually different than without the restriction? Or is it
something else?

Thanks again,
Ace

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"Michael" wrote in message om...
"Mike Rapoport" wrote
You must work for the government if you think that you need a document to
determine whether an airplane is single or multi, land or sea.

Really? I think I'm ready for my government job. Since you're not,
please tell me whether a Seahawker (or Glass Goose) is land or sea.
Be advised, the gear retracts into sponsons, and with the gear
retracted it operates off water. However, with the gear extended it
operates from land.

As far as certification goes, an amphib is an amphib.

Or how about a C-185 on amphib floats?

It is a "convertible." The 185 has differing operating limitations depending on whehter
it is in land, sea, or amphib configuration.

The airplane type certificiates are divided into: land, sea, convertible, amphib, and flying boat.

A pilot needs either a land or sea class rating depending on whether operating on land or sea.
Type ratings for amphibs may be restricted to one or the other if the pilot doesn't demonstrate
both capabilities.