Old July 23rd 03, 06:05 PM
Maule Driver

"Jim CRQ" wrote in message
Could someone give a brief outline of what is involved in getting a
tail wheel endorsement.

Mainly takeoffs and landings. Grass, hard surface, xwind, different flaps,
3 pointers, wheelies. Full stall landings is a misnomer in the Maule.

Others have said that high speed taxiing was a big part of the training. I
still consider that one of the scarier exercises.

I'm interested in upgrading my skills and would like to know what type
of training is involved. I suspect its mostly landing and taxing.

Interestingly, my CFI would not tell me anything about basic taxiing. Only
that I pay attention to wind direction and speed while doing so. Me, "how
exactly do you taxi this thing?", Him "Let's go out to runway 22 and do a
couple of circuits. So I just did it.

Also how long did it take to master the tail wheel techniques.

I have 900 hours in my Maule. Let's just say I feel very comfortable in it
most of the time but would approach any other mount with my novice hat on.

Paying attention is part of the skill. The minute you don't, whatever
mastery you have is reduced to "oh sh_t"

Thanks

Jim