Old December 7th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default NavAir CWO graduates first class

'Worked' for a Master Chief when I was a brand new O-4, Red Larson, not
a finer CPO in existence at the time in my experience. He was so good,
I asked him about becoming an LDO...trade 'Master Chief' for O-1/2 or
whatever and he laughed at me...He 'splained' why, why trade going from
the top to one of the herd....

fudog50 wrote:
Mike,

Trying to be as respectful and tactful as I can, hopefully this
answers those 2 questions:

1.) I was permanantly commissioned the day I swore the oath, as are
the rest of my CWO brothers and sisters. LDO's are not permanant
commissioned until after thier second year as a LT, (6 years
commissioned). They are asked at that point if they want to go
permanant, if not they revert back to enlisted or can go home. By the
way CWO's can NOT revert back because of the fact they are permanantly
commissioned from day 1.

*that "non-commissioned" comment smells like Army,

2.) I got the payscale sitting right here. Next year ( July 07) as a
CWO4 I make 6220 base pay, after 8 years commissioned. A LT LDO (same
8 years commissioned) tops out at 5715. 0-4's make 6250, so they make
30 bucks more, wow. However, a CWO5 after 12 years commissioned makes
6850. So they lose money by making ACWO's vice ALDO's. Look at 2007
payscale and see for yourself.

Compare CWO2 to O1E with over 8 its the same advantage for CWO. Also
CWO3 to 02E, CWO's simply make more money with the same amount of
years commissioned, with one exception. It takes only 2 years for an
ENS to make JG and 3 years from CWO2 to CWO3, so for that 1 year
period, the LDO makes more. After that its all over except the crying!

Its simply a bad idea, no one yet has convinced any of my fellow
LDO/CWO's otherwise. Sure there are some good points, but again the
bad far outweighs them!

Anyway they should start these guys out as W-1's like Army,(simply a
warrant officer, NOT a Chief Warrant Officer. That would fix a lot of
the whole problems.

For example, not to many sane persons would go from Chief to W-1.
Thats why the Navy has no W-1. You go from Cheif to CWO2. This new
program allows a dozen or so E-5 or E-6 straight to CWO2!!!

On 6 Dec 2006 12:39:24 -0800, "Mike Weeks" wrote:

fudog50 wrote:
Sorry I forgot on my last winded reply:

The Navy already had a prgram like this in the past it was called,
ALDO, (Aviator Limited Duty Officer)

God only knows why the higher ups didn't just resurrect this program!

You would be drawing from the same pool of highly motivated, smart
people and wouldn't have to completly bypass the entire CWO career
path the rest of us have gone through and will continue to do.

Could it be due to the ALDO being commissioned, and the CWO is not?
Don't have to pay as much for example? It's almost as if they brought
back the NAPs (flying Chief's), just give them the CWO rate instead as
well as limited type flying-only duty. Again, just a question.