Old May 14th 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default OAT sensor placement

True airspeed comes to mind...

On 5/14/2019 2:15 PM, wrote:
What are the implications of not having the sensor directly in an outside airflow stream - other than getting an incorrect temperature reading. What calculations are dependent on the OAT and how will they be affected by having an incorrect temperature?

Robert

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 1:12:22 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've installed them in 3 gliders.Â* In the LS-6a and the LAK-17a, I
installed them in the nose vent.Â* My Stemme has a NACA vent on the under
side of the fuselage just about where the pilot's knees are. There's a
removable panel which grants access to the inner surface of the vent.Â* I
simply drilled the proper size hole, glued the temperature probe in the
hole, and ran the wires to the instrument panel.Â* Easy peasy!

On 5/14/2019 8:39 AM, Rob Shepherd wrote:
Where would be the best place to install an OAT sensor?

I'm assuming somewhere on the underside of the glider but out of the
airstream.

Constructive comments appreciated.

Cheers
Rob