Old May 16th 19, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Rudder pedal S-tubes

Hmmmm.....is there another JJ out there?
The original JJ has been flying around with rudder pedals that match the angle of his feet when seated in a reclined position for close to 50 years now and I know a whole bunch of other pilots that are doing the same. I did mention to check for full rudder deflection after adjusting pedal angle and this should be done with the pedals in their full forward position, also. As a mater of fact, I found I was unable to get full rudder deflection in my Genesis-2, after installing a nose water tank..........hmmmmm, yes Jj, I added a nose tank to counter balance the wing water. I hear you saying, “you shouldn’t be adding anything to any sailplane, and you got that backwards, anyway! Well, you see, the allowable CG range on the Genesis is zero to 5.25” aft of the root rib , but the wing water tank is about 12” deep, so when wing water goes in, the CG shifts aft, sense the need for a nose tank. The esteemed designers told me to fix this little problem by installing lead weights in the nose, but that left me flying around with a forward CG, after I dumbed the wing water. Oh, one more little problem, the Genesis refuses to climb unless the CG is at least 4.75” aft of datum!
Back to the problem of the rudder pedals hitting my nose water tank............I blocked off the forward hole, so that I can’t move the rudder pedals all the way forward..........problem solved!
The original JJ