Old April 22nd 13, 04:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Free flight computer software for iPad/iPhone

On Apr 21, 3:50*pm, 6PK wrote:
On Sunday, April 21, 2013 7:17:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, April 20, 2013 10:41:12 PM UTC-5, WinPilot wrote:

The PNA version had several of these features for years, like final glide around all waypoints, area tasks and daec sectors. The iPad/iPhone version is trying hard to catch up.

WinPro for the WinCe 5 and 6 versions runs on my Avier (same as Vertica 2) but has a lot of bugs and hangs up. *Would the WinPilot team please consider continuing to support that operating system!!!??? *You guys still have a great product, would hate to have to switch to XCSoar or LK8000, have both also installed.

Putting all your eggs in the Apple basket is not making sense, look at the AAPL stock price!

Herb

I too have to agree with this statement. Unfortunately the good folks at WinPilot stopped keeping up with progress. Still to date the features of WinPilot Pro are second to none.
I been playing with both SeeYou Mobile and XCSoar for over a year, wanting a better nicer dispay. XCSoar is interesting but it is a way different learning curve. Many nice features but where it counts IMO it does not measure up to WP.
I opted for SeeYou Mobil running on an Oudie since it is a very similar platform to WinPilot, it communicates with my 302 and calculates glide just fine.
What SYM lacks is a poor imitation of WP climb maximizer; I know there has been a lot of discussion whether or not one should use such things but believe me you whish you had one when down low trying to dig out. It really works! (Of course there were many arguments about why one does not need a compensated vario, audio vario, flight computer or a vario for that matter)
The WP thermal finder although not all that useful in the obvious places becomes rather important over flat lands; less than obvious spots.
Their aviation database by far the most comprehensive among the other systems has not been updated for a very long time, rendering it unfortunately useless. I for one would be more than willing to pay an annual subscription fee for it to be updated at least once a year.
An other interesting feature of the PRO is a speed to fly vertical bar that gets it's data from the flight computer. I much prefer it on the PDA/PNA display than the idiot light on the 302.
Both SYM and XCSoar claim to have this feature but it will not get any information from the computer. (It will "sort" of work if no computer is connected )
Both SYM and XCSoar systems offers PNA or Android based programs communicating with most modern flight computers. WinPilot only has the ADV version operating on a PNA and neither it or the Apple version will communicate with any systems.
I for one would switch back to WinPilot in a hearth beat providing the PRO could be available on a PNA (or other) version and the aviation data could be updated.
It's still the best system out there.
6PK

Yes, it is sad that WinPilot has decided to pursue the Apple platform
rather than improving the base WinPilot Pro that was the standard at
one time. Many of us tried to convince them to fix the weaknesses for
several years. It still has the best thermal maximizer but the
glaring faults finally led me and most others the move on to other
software. Parallels to Cambridge are very similar.

Too bad SeeYou has not duplicated the WinPilot thermal assistant to
replace the weak one it currently has.

I finally gave up on WinPilot last year after frustrating issues that
I had asked to be changed cost me points on several tasks last year.