Old March 13th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

Default Ack!! video A320 xwind in Germany

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:42:21 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Wasn't so much the crosswind as the technique used to deal with it.

Perhaps so - but it's been alleged there was a wind gust of 155 mph:

Could it have been caused by that wing almost hitting the ground? ;-)

The entire approach looked bogus to me, but I'm nowhere near a heavy
driver. The result was exactly what I'd expect with that technique...

The approach was fine all the way to the flare.

Bertie

The pilot de-crabbed too high, started to drift, then hurried to
recapture the correct crab angle and stabilize. While flaring not
enough aileron was applied into the wind, this allowed a gust to
momentarily bank the left wing into the ground.

The pilot should have maintained a stabilized descent, with crab
correction, to approximately 30' AGL before executing a simultaneous
de-crab and flare.