Old December 3rd 05, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PZL Compass

I had similar problems with the PZL compass in my LS6. I refilled it
and then sealed it with epoxy, that didn't work for the reason
suggested abovein a previous message (and the reason listed below)

I learned from an older gentleman in Australia who sold me another PZL
compass that the reason these compasses leak is because people overfill
them.

In North America we are taught that air bubbles in compasses are bad
(indicates a leaking compass). This is because most of us use the
Airpath compass with a rubber diaphragm at the back of the unit to
react to the expanding fluid as the temperature increases. This allows
the Airpath to be filled with fluid.

The PZL compass does not have this feature, so there must be a large
airpocket in the instrument to allow for expansion. With the PZL
compasses, you cannot fill them more than about 2/3, otherwise the
fluid won't have room to expand and it will break the seal and leak.

So with the PZL compass an air bubble is good, Don't overfill!

Dave