Old May 10th 04, 05:54 AM
Jeff Saylor

"Peter R." wrote:

Jeff Saylor wrote:

Yes but as I mentioned earlier the southeast extension appears to point
toward a runway at Oneida County (KUCA).

I think that is coincidental. To me the southeast extension appears to
be more aligned with the approach path to runway 15 at Griffiss.

The northeast extension points
towards Griffiss but is about 90 degrees to the runway heading which is why
I found it curious.

And why bother with the extensions at all? Why not just have the entire
TRSA circle go out to the 25 nm or so at that altitude?

I am just playing the speculation game here, but perhaps these
extensions are in line with the bombers' targeting routes to Russia and
East Europe, thereby providing radar coverage until the B-52s reached
center's airspace at 10,000?

Possibily, but why wouldn't there also be radar coverage in all directions at
that altitude?

A co-worker of mine is based at Oneida Cty, so I will ask him the next
time I see him. Also, if it is a particularly slow day when I pass
through Griffiss' airspace, I'll ask them, too.

I'd be interested in hearing....