Old March 24th 19, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default New Horten wing wing

Goggle Mitchel Wing B10
Don Mitchel in the 70's was producing these high performance Hang Gliders, Foot launched, and they ruled the Owens Valley in the late 70's early 80's.. Beautiful aircraft and fairly stable. George Worthington set many World distance Records in his. Then pilots started putting engines and wheels on them. I was there on the summer evening in Bishop when Bishop local and Hang Gliding pioneer Don Partridge flew his powered Mitchell wing for the first time. Shortly there after both George Worthington and Don Partridge perished in flying accidents; Partridge in his Mitchell wing and Worthington in his Wanderer. Worthington was participating in a XC Ultralight contest when his aircraft wing failed. Partridge went in for unknow reasons AFAIK. They were both highly regarded characters, expert pilots, and I remember that as a very sad period of Hang Gliding in the Owens.
History worth remembering.