Old March 22nd 04, 09:15 PM
John Doe

gerrcoin wrote
John Doe wrote:

I guess this is asking too much, but I really do not understand why
Microsoft did not include a few main roads in my big city. I do not
see any roads anywhere yet.

snip
Lastly. Is the lack of roads and highways due to performance
concerns? Otherwise, I just do not understand why they are missing.
I am talking not only about roads and highways being there, but also
about them being almost well defined as runways in airports.

I guess that it's not just the performance issue, but rather the fact
that MS didn't want to spend too much time on anything out side the
airports (apart from major landmarks). With roadways constantly
changing it would be dificult to keep up to date during the games
developement. AFIK it's just the interstates and expressways in the US
or motorways in the UK that are shown.

I do not see roads/highways in my big city, definitely not clearly.

MS have provided the ability for third party scenery addons for
individual areas which saves them alot of work.

With $50,000,000,000 USD (fifty billion United States dollars) in cash,
Microsoft can afford the resources.

A equivilent complaint amongst FS users is the lack of decent
buildings in the larger towns, but if MS had spent the time doing that
for every large city and town in the world (or even in the US) then we
would only be seeing FS2000 now.

Why is that?

About the best you can do on this is to try to find a VFR scenery
package for the areas that you want. These addons usually use aerial
photos for the ground textures and should theoretically have every
land feature ie. not only roads but rivers wooded areas, housing
estates etc. In my experience these are usually low resolution to keep
the frame rates from dropping to a slide show. But my pc is not that
fast. Anyone have any better experience with fast pc and good graphics
card? Anyway you can usually make out enough to navigate using real
life charts. Good luck.

From: gerrcoin
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.simulators
Subject: FS2004 scenery which shows roads and highways?