Old July 2nd 04, 03:07 AM
Mark Zivley

Default Thermal Rotation - Revisited....

I was killing time before a meeting and I was watching two things.
First was a towering Cu and the second was a hawk down low circling. I
wondered if the hawk was aware of any rotation of the thermal he was in.
Then I started watching the Cu as it continued to billow upwards.
What struck me was that in watching the cloud form I did not see
anything which indicated any sort of rotation. We've all seen dust
devils. They definitely DO rotate, but I wonder what percentage of
thermal drafts actually end up forming a rotation. Think about all the
cu's you've ever seen, have any Cu's formed in a manner that looks like
they are rotating? Is it possible that any vortex type rotation has
disintegrated into just a turbulent bubble type of flow. Just pondering...

Mark

reply to address has duplicate hot