Old August 8th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default To profile or not to profile

On Aug 8, 1:39 pm, John Sinclair
wrote:
Hmmmmm,
When I typed the sympol for for inches (') , the system
changed it to feet (') ..............anyway, the first
4 INCHES are important, not the first 4 FEET!
JJ

At 20:18 08 August 2007, wrote:

My Speed Astir's wings show a considerable amount of
waviness at the
spar caps and every rib. There also appears to have
been some repair
work on a leading edge, and the profile is noticeably
NOT the same as
the other wing.
I have Compufoil Pro, which will outpout CNC mill
files for the
templates, and a friend with a CNC mill, willing to
produce the
templates. I will almost certainly take care of the
leading edge
issues, but I'm waffling about undertaking a full wing
re-profile. On
one hand, you want your glider to be as good as it
can be. On the
other hand, I don't fly contests, and I'm pretty sure
the pilot is
causing more loss of performance than the extra drag
from the waves in
the profile.
Opinions??

BTW, the single biggest improvement I've made to date
is the addition
of a flight recorder and a iPAQ with XCSoar. That combo
made it
immediately clear that I was being too conservative
(chicken!)

Jim- Hide quoted text -

Inches, feet, whatever it takes.