Old September 28th 05, 02:20 PM
Dave Butler

I don't see any mention of AOPA. Call AOPA right away. You probably should have
done so before seeing your AME. DGB

Chuck wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've run into a problem with renewing my medical because of a
diagnosis of Sleep Apnea. It didn't cause me to fail my medical, but
I didn't pass either.

Since the AME had never run into a pilot with Sleep Apnea before, he
wound up calling Oklahoma and talking to the FAA. The FAA person had
the doctor "defer" the medical and send the paperwork to them.

I spoke with the doctor for quite a while and he feels sure that the
FAA will eventually approve the medical and I'll be flying again. But
he thinks that the FAA will be asking for paperwork on my diagnosis
and test results. And he suggests I get together as much information
as possible -- for when the FAA does ask for it. I'm working on that.

But in the meantime, I was wondering if anyone out there has been in
the same situation before? Has anyone out there run into a medical
problem because of Sleep Apnea? Or does anyone know of a pilot with
the problem???

I'd really like to speak to anyone with similar experience. I'd like
to talk about how their situation resolved and any
suggestions/recommendations they might have in dealing with the FAA.

Having the FAA consider Apnea a problem is actually kind of curious.
Sleep Apnea isn't something that sneaks up on you like a stroke or
heart attack. Apnea just keeps you from sleeping correctly and if
you've had a problem while sleeping, you know it when you get up. So,
Apnea isn't something that should affect you while flying -- at least
I hope no one is sleeping at the controls.

And if you had a problem with Apnea the night before, you get up
tired and feeling bad -- and I'd really hope that someone in that
situation wouldn't get behind the controls!!! So, I'm a little
puzzled why the FAA consider it a possible flight problem -- but I'll
play along and supply anything they request.

Thanks for listening guys. And if anyone has any information, please
send it to me at or post it to this list.