Old February 16th 20, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Libelle suitability for beginners

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 00:00:27 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Not quite: 201s were entirely balsa until s/n 110 (mine is 82). The
transition from the all-balsa 201 with no water and both-surface
airbrakes to the 201B with all-foam surfaces, top-surface airbrakes and
water bags as standard started with s/n 111 and was complete at s/n 182.

I should have added a warning I was given about 201s with double surface
brakes: If you're forced to land out on long, thick grass or crop, try to
put the brakes away just before dropping into the long stuff or you may
find the lower brakes severely bent, though I suspect that remembering to
do this may be a stretch and this may make getting it into the trailer
'interesting'.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org