Old October 8th 03, 05:33 AM
Mike O'Malley

Martin Evans wrote in message . ..
"ShawnD2112" wrote:

No, neither do I but I'm convinced he was breaking the law on this
occasion. Maybe he will get away with it. I couldn't be bothered
reporting to the CAA it as I was on holiday a day or so later and
without a reg number there is not a lot that can be done except trawl
through radar recordings perhaps.

Let me make sure I understand what you think happened- you (from the
surface) saw an airplane disappear behind a tall building, and want to
know if he broke the law. Remember your trig though- just because he
disappeared behind a 200' building DOESN'T mean he was below 200'

How far were you from the building, in your best estimate? You claim
the airplane was around 500' laterally from you, am I correct?
Depending on how close you were to the building, the plane could have
been as high as 1000' or more and still disappeared behind it.

As others have said, it is incredibly difficult to judge altitude from
the ground with nothing to compare against, and even then, it's also
difficult to judge where the plane was directly above, unless it
passes directly over you.

Just a few pointers.

Mike O'Malley