Old December 3rd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

Default Whats it take to get a ride on a jump seat

On Dec 2, 5:16*pm, Tman wrote:
Of a commercial airline flight. *Is it just out of the question?

That said, I'm not a beautiful lady, so I don't have that going for me.
I imagine that no degree of schmoozing and trying can get me into a jump
* seat, unless I happen to know one of the crew. *Anyone disagree?

The only way to ride the jumpseat for quite some time (Pre 9-11 even)
is to be a Flight crewmember with an airline that participates in a
program were your employment can be verified. If your airline does not
participate you can still request a ride but it wont be in the
jumpseat. You would ride in the back space permiting. I took my father
in the jumpseat on one of the last 135 legs that my airline flew
before having to comply with 121 along with all the other commuters
and that was about 12 years ago , so it has been this way for a long
time. The employment verification thing came about after 9/11.
Pretty much the big difference is that things are alot quieter ,
faster TO and landing speeds and a really good autopilot/autothrottle
(G).
Frank