Old September 19th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default Condensation in hangar

"karl gruber" wrote:
After a snow here in the NW, we often get the "pineapple Express," warm
moist air from Hawaii.

This causes a huge amount of water to condense in my hangar. The floor will
have 1/8 inch of water on it. This has only happened once in 5 years. But
today I bought a couple of big fans and plan to cut holes in the hangar door
and continuously vent with the fans.

The problem is the concrete's temperature. It has been cold-soaked below the
ambient air's dewpoint. Until the former rises or the latter falls, there's
no stopping the condensation.

Forced air venting will help the floor warm up more quickly. The most
effective remedy would be to apply radiant heat to the floor, but that could
get expensive.

Do you think I should blow air in, or out. Or should one be in and the other
out. Or is this just a dumb idea and something else would work much better.

In & out would be best. You want a lot of air changes/hour to warm the floor.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM