Old March 24th 07, 08:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Leslie

Default ME+262 verses Sabre

Thank you all for your imput

...................Leslie

"fannum" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:25:00 -0000, "News" wrote:

"Leslie" escreveu na mensagem
. ..
Hello can you help

I am locked in argument with friends regards the above two aircraft

I believe and am quite sure that I read somewhere that the ME+62 was
faster and more manoeuvrable than both the Sabre and the MIG at the time
of the Korean war

The only item in the 262 superior to the other 2 was the armament. In any
other aspect, it would have been far inferiror...

I've flown Cougars against Furies, USN variant of Sabres and these
aircraft could be comparable ... We had a Luftwaffe exchange pilot in
early 60s flying our F9s, and he said the 262s were sadly lacking in
high speed manuverability, and their engines were terrible! Throttle
had to be advanced and retarded slowly, or it would stall and become
hard to restart. His assessment was the Me was great due to speed, but
having flown captured Allied craft, they were told NEVER to dogfight.
Plus, the 262 was prone to overstressing.

On engines alone, the P80 and Meteor would have been superior
according to Eric Brown.