Old February 1st 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Leaking Static

On Jan 31, 7:14*pm, Max Birley
wrote:
I have a lak 12. It has 4 static ports on the fuselage. Left and right
ports are mixed. If the tubes connecting the ports have leaks, who can
I fix them as I do not know any 8" mechanics.
I think I have 3 options
replace the tubes I can reach
relocate the static ports
Cut *an access hole in the boom (expensive)

Any other ideas

Max

--
Max Birley

Max,

Tools - A Syringe, a Tee fitting and an airspeed indicator (use the
one in your panel no need to remove.it). Put a tee in the line one
side to the syringe, one to your airspeed indicator one the line you
are checking.

Total Energy - Put the probe in the fitting and tape also tape the
holes in the TE probe. . Pressure the lines to 60 knots. NO LEAKS
AT ALL it should hold for ever. I know nothing is forever so lets
say 1 or 2 minutes holding the A/S at 60 knots..

AirSpeed - plug the pitot line (ram air in) pressure to 60 knots.
NO LEAKS AT ALL it should hold for many minutes.

Statics you can check the same way but I would not worry if they have
a small leaks, unless you are connecting the static to a vario.
Usually there are statics in the rear fuselage (which you can’t get
to) , center under the wings on the fuselage, ( which you can get to)
and front (which you can get to) if you have leaks in the back one
your could disconnect and not use them and connect your instruments to
the wing or front statics.

Someone mentioned flushing the lines with water to clean them out. I
would not flush lines with water ever. It can damage your instruments
if you don't get it all out and if you have water in the TE line it
will block the air flow intermittently as the water bubble moves back
and forth. Strange indications on your vario, it will go from zero the
a high climb rate or sink when the bubble lets pressure or suction
through. With the TE probe removed you should be able to easily blow
through the lines.

Give me a call if you need some coaching.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com