Old May 13th 20, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

On Tue, 12 May 2020 17:41:24 -0700, agcatflyr wrote:

We simulate rope breaks, have you ever covered an airspeed
and had to fly a tow-release-landing without?

Aero tow, no. Winch, yes: three times. First was pre-solo in an ASK-21
and an ASI cover was used, so the whole launch was flown without an ASI
for the student. Part of the BGA syllabus. Isn't that part of US solo
qualification and if not, why not?

The other two were ASI failures after launch. Both of these were in a
Puchacz. First was shortly after release. By then we'd just found a nice
thermal so we decided it would be rude it not use it, went away over big
open space, did a stall or two as reminder of noises etc, came back and
landed without incident. Second was halfway up the launch: pulled the
bung, flew abbreviated pattern and landed. No huhu.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org